Health Benefits of Birth Control Pills
Oral Contraceptives (Birth Control Pills)
Not only are oral contraceptives an excellent form of contraception (birth control), but there are MANY additional health benefits!
Is the pill safe?
Since the 1950’s women have used birth control pills to prevent pregnancy. Over the last 60 years, the amount of hormone in the pill has continued to drop, resulting in a safer, more tolerable option for women. In fact, the pill is safe for almost all women, from teenage years to menopause.
Besides birth control, what does the pill help with?
- Heavy menses (periods)
- Prevention of menstrual migraines
- Reduction of ovarian and uterine cancer risk
You should NOT use the pill if you have:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- History of venous thromboembolism or deep vein thrombosis
- History of stroke, heart disease, lupus, clotting disorders, liver disease, breast cancer
- Migraine with aura
- OR if you are age 35 years or over, and are a smoker