Healthy Girl Workout
By Kelli Porter, WHNP-BC
In my 12 plus years of caring for women, I have heard every excuse in the book for not exercising…. “I don’t have time”, “I have kids”, “I can’t afford a gym”, “I don’t know where to start”, etc. Weight is a concern for many of my patients. Excess weight also increases risk for heart disease, diabetes and cancer. I am a firm believer in healthy diet and exercise, both to lose weight and to maintain a healthy weight. It is hard sometimes to get into the habit of exercising, but it really is crucial on so many levels. Not only can it help with weight, it can help with depression and anxiety symptoms, as well. We really need to think of exercise as just as important as the food we eat during the day and the sleep we get at night. It would be rare to go a day without eating or sleeping. It should be the same with exercise.
It is important to find an activity that you enjoy and stick with it. Walking or jogging are both excellent forms of exercise. We are fortunate that Austin is full of trails perfect for this and most of the time our weather is nice. For those days where we are blessed with rain or it is too cold, I created the “Healthy Girl Workout”. This activity can be done in the comfort of your own home. You just need a small area and a yoga mat if you are on hard flooring. So, crank up your favorite tunes and get moving!
- 50 jumping jacks
- 20 side kicks, alternating right and left
- 20 squats
- 50 jump ropes
- 20 front kicks, alternating right and left
- 50 high knees
- 50 booty kicks
- 20 sec of fast feet
- 20 back kicks, alternating right and left
- 40 squat punches – 20 forward punches and 20 uppercuts
Get out your yoga mat or move to a carpeted area
- 50 back cycles (lay on your back, legs in the air and cycle)
- 20 pelvis lifts
- 20 Leg lifts – each side (right leg 10 full leg lifts, then 10 partial lifts, do the same with left leg)
- 20 sit ups
- 20 push-ups (modified push-ups are fine)
- 30 second plank
Move your mat to the side
- 10 burpees
- 20 elbow to knee (right elbow to left knee, left elbow to right knee)
- Side and front leg lifts (hands on hips – extend right leg out to the side – 10 times, then extend leg to the front – 10 times, then do the same with the left leg)
- GREAT JOB – now repeat!!
If you are just beginning to exercise you might need to start by doing only half of what I recommend. If you are advanced you can double the amount recommended.
Best of luck to you! I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about the workout. You can e-mail me at [email protected]